Thursday, August 20, 2009

Who Are the Uninsured?

Where I work, if you get sick and need to take an extended leave, first you use up your vacation and sick leave. Once you have exhausted both of these then you must go begging to your co-workers for 'vacation donation'. Your co-workers can each donate up to 12 hours of their accrued vacation time to you. Once this runs out, you lose your health insurance. Just when you need it the most, it's gone. How fair is that?

Here is an interesting link that explains who the uninsured are. You might be surprised to learn that most of them hold down a job.

And here is another interesting concept; insurance for in case you lose your health insurance.

2 comments:

Lily said...

That's appalling! How better to turn sick workers' colleagues against them by reducing the other workers' own access to sick leave!
If I have to go on long term sick, I am paid full salary for 6 months, then half salary for six months before the money dries up.
Can you believe the word verification today is 'paindul'?!

rilera said...

Lily, that is very interesting. At my job we can purchase short term and long term disability insurance that will pay 60% of my salary for a certain length of time, but it doesn't pay to continue my health insurance. What sort of conundrum is that? There is no paid maternity leave either for individuals who choose to spawn (!).

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...