Sunday, October 2, 2005

Anxious and SAD

I have a lovely form of depression called Seasonal Affective Disorder. Every autumn around this time I start to feel anxious and depressed and I dread the onset of winter. It sucks even more because I live in Minnesota. Not that someone in California or New Zealand is immune from this disorder (SAD). I become a slug and no matter how hard I try I can't keep up with work and life. I just want to hibernate the winter away. Hey, maybe I have some genetic makeup similar to a bear! Anyway, it sucks, sucks, sucks. Especially since no one understands it, least of all the people at work. So I must medicate myself and hope that it keeps me on an even keel for the next 5 months. In case you have this, there are many great support groups and books on the subject; one of my favorites is Winter Blues by Norman Rosenthal, MD.

No comments:

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...