Thursday, April 27, 2006

Child-like

As my mom's dementia progresses, she becomes more child-like. Today I took her to get her hair permed and cut. She wanted to take her shoes off when we got to the salon.

I struggle with her as far as hygiene is concerned. She doesn't want to bathe so, as you can imagine, she sometimes gets a little ripe. How does a daughter tell a parent, gently, tactfully, to bathe? Advice from others includes to make it fun, like a day of beauty. I never thought I'd be caring for my mom like this. It's so hard to go through this with a parent.

So far we have had a string of good days. Mom hasn't been too emotional. She gets upset at the drop of a hat. But then who wouldn't if they knew there was something up with their mind? She is still with-it enough to know that things are not right with her memory.

No comments:

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...