Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Gasoline Prices

Today when I drove past the local SuperAmerica, I noticed that the price of gas is at $2.89 per gallon. I am pretty certain that it will be over $3.00 by the 4th of July. That will leave most of the commuters in my area at a loss since the state has put more backing into new highways and less into public transportation. In fact, city bus routes were being eliminated only a few months ago. Suburban bus lines seem to be booming with increased ridership though and I am glad to see that. Still, people are commuting many miles in big, huge, gas-guzzling SUVs and they are not carpooling.

I do not believe that the answer is to drill for oil in ANWAR. The solution is to find alternate energy resources, increase the MPG of vehicles (I want a Prius!) and fund more public transportation. It's been nearly 30 years since the energy crisis of the 1970s and Americans are still consuming oil and other energy resources at an alarming rate. Except now we have competition from China. Oh and we have greedy oil companies who seem to be making money at alarming rates. Just heard on the news that in China a gallon of gas is going for less than $2 per gallon and in Venezuala it is .19 cents a gallon! It's time for Americans to stop this dependency on foreign oil and find alternate energy sources as well as ways that we, as consumers can save energy and stop global warming.

No comments:

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...