Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Wednesday - Hump Day!

Today we had our usual Wednesday caregiver. She wanted to give it another try and the person who was supposed to replace her was sick. Things went well she said. Mom had a few tearful moments but otherwise the caregiver calmed her down. For some reason though Mom seems to think she is a man! I'm not sure why that is. This caregiver is very professional and firm. Mom usually likes the caregivers who are more touchy-feely so I wonder if that is what sometimes bothers Mom? Or maybe she is just having typical Alzheimer's moments. One thing I like about this caregiver is that she is somehow able to get Mom to use the toilet. In my book, that's a plus.

Tonight at dinner Mom was very upset; calling herself stupid and asking me what is wrong with her, why can't she remember things? I never know what to say to this so I usually say that she just has a problem with her memory. I purchased a book called The Best Friend's Approach to Alzheimer's Care. It says that a person has the right to know that they have Alzheimer's, even if you don't explain it as Alzheimer's, instead you might say 'memory loss' or 'forgetfulness'. I've heard different ideas on this; some say to tell the person, some say don't. Anyway, the book looks interesting, I can't wait to read it.

We have had spring-like weather these last few days. Today it was sprinkling rain. And our snow is melting. No sign of daffodils except the ones being sold for the American Cancer Society's Daffodil Days. We won't see daffodils in Minnesota until May.

4 comments:

cornbread hell said...

that book does look interesting.

after all this time i've finally started calling it alzheimer's with mom when she asks why her brain doesn't work. but it's so strange...she still doesn't see herself as being like the other people where she lives.

i sometimes wonder how different it must be to live at home, without other alz people.

rilera said...

Rick, my biggest worry is that Mom is going to think I've put her in the asylum because everyone is 'different' from her. I hope that by the time she's ready to go (or I'm ready, whichever comes first) she won't recognize the difference. It's just so sad.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Robyn! Thank you for posting the daffodil days link!

I love that and normally sign up every year! THIS year, through your link, I found that I am TOO LATE to order in my area! :( You’d think that they would have at least called me! However, thanks to your posting this, I now have the site bookmarked for next time!

This disease is SO strange. I hope that your Mom soon is able to feel safe and loved with her helpers.

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...