Sunday, July 6, 2008

I love this image of the fireworks display in Duluth from this year. 20 years ago it was a different story. On July 4, 1988 the entire fireworks display exploded, on the ground. Thankfully no one was injured. I was at Mom and Dad's house and remember saying "It sounds like they shot off all of the fireworks at once". It was quite a loud explosion as you can imagine.

One of my favorite vantage points for watching the fireworks is in the pilot house of the Edwin H. Gott. In the early 80s we were invited by the captain of the Gott, Jesse B. Cooper, and his wife Susie to view the fireworks display from the Gott, which was docked in the Duluth harbor. It was quite a spectacular sight! A little bit of trivia; Captain Cooper was one of the last people in contact with the crew of Edmund Fitzgerald.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that Edwin H Gott is a huge boat! That had to be a thrill to watch fireworks from the pilot house.

I still remember hearing Gordon Lightfoot singing about the Edmund Fitzgerald, too.

~Betsy said...

How terrible that they all shot off at once. There was an accident like that somewhere this year, but I don't remember exactly where. I think some people got burned.

What a thrill to be in the pilot house for such a display! That must have been awesome!

Anonymous said...

Robyn, I remember that night too. We were visiting Mom & Dad in Duluth and Matt was 6 mths old on his first trip to MN.

rilera said...

Allyson, I thought you were there too! Matt was just a baby.

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...