Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Weather Report

Today was a holiday from work for me. I scheduled a meeting with the hospice nurse at CB at 2PM. Mom is better but she's still not eating very much. They had just lain her down for a nap when I arrived around 1PM. An aide from hospice arrived shortly after me. She bathed Mom and washed her hair. She was so gentle with Mom. Then the nurse arrived. She took Mom's blood pressure, which was good, and checked out some skin sores on her. They have added some new meds including something to help calm her down when she gets agitated. All in all I was quite pleased by what I saw regarding Mom's care. Mom seems better too, though I'm concerned about her not wanting to eat. Later after I got home the hospice social worker called and we talked for awhile. She helped explain the not eating thing and how sometimes with dementia this happens.

It started sleeting around 3PM and has been doing so since.

I'm trying to knit some mittens with some lovely yarn from Annie. I've never knitted with double pointed needles so I'm struggling with this. I would like to use a circular needle, that would make life easier.

3 comments:

Annie said...

It sounds like you're happy with hospice. I'm glad.

Good for you for trying something new! Are you using a set of 4 or 5 double points? For me, 5 are easier. The first few rows are always the hardest, like trying to wrangle a porcupine into submission. Once you have a few rows to sort of anchor everything, it gets better.

~Betsy said...

I hope your mom is doing well and feeling a bit more like herself. I know this is hard.

Our weather is up and down like a yo-yo. I guess it's that time of year.

jutka said...

I was my husband's solo caregiver for over 10 years in our home. He passed away this February after 11 days in a hospital of complication of Alzheimer's. During the years few times I had to take him to a designated facility for respit care, when I had to take care of things and he could not come along with me. In the last five years he could not be left home alone anymore, and got out from his bed 3-4 times a night. I was reading your mom's story with great compassion and understanding.Yes,they need our love more than anything else.

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...