Saturday, August 30, 2008

Historic Moments in US Politics

Here in Minneapolis/St. Paul we are gearing up for the Republican National Convention. Next week, I fear, is going to be a commuting nightmare for me. You see I work in St. Paul, on the state capitol complex. We will have an armed state trooper at the door into our facility for the 4 days of the convention. Parking is going to be difficult. I'm worried about whether I will be able to make it home to Mom on time.

Yesterday's surprise announcement of Sarah Palin as McCain's running mate was a shocker. I do not feel that this woman is qualified to run the country if McCain wins the election and something were to happen to him in office. If this is an attempt to attract disgruntled Hillary supporters then they've blown it. My sister and I both feel insulted by this choice. I'm sure this woman is quite capable however she has absolutely NO experience in either the domestic or international arena. Sure it garnered excitement as the first woman on a Republican ticket but that's it. On the other hand, as a Hillary supporter I was inspired by Obama's acceptance speech at the DNC in Denver. It's really time for someone with his values to take command of this country. And he's right, we as citizens should not rely entirely on government; we need to help each other by volunteering and becoming involved in our communities. I'm confident that Senator Obama can help steer my country back onto the right track. I'm always proud to be an American, but I am especially proud at this time in our history.

No comments:

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...