Tuesday, May 9, 2006

Fat but Happy

Why can't researchers come up with an antidepressant that causes people to lose weight rather than gain it?? I'm so happy to be stable mood-wise, but I can't stand the weight gain side effect. The only way I have ever lost weight is to taper off the antidepressant, then after about 9 months I can finally get the scale to budge downward. And to top it off, in January I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. According to my doc that explains a lot about my health including my inability to lose weight. I'm still going to make every effort to exercise, even though most days I am exhausted and achy. It's not the ache that you get when you work out too hard; it's a weird, burning ache in places that you weren't even exercising. Sometimes I can walk fairly easily and not get too winded. Other days, I feel like I'm 90 years old. And I can never build up any endurance. This is not like when I was younger. I was in great shape! I could do 60 minutes of step aerobics and feel awesome! There was nothing like the endorphin buzz. But then I started to have asthma attacks induced by exercise. Soon the darkness of depression engulfed me and I wasn't motivated to work out even though it was the best possible thing I could do. And then the chocolate cravings set in and it was goodbye to my conditioned body. Yuck. So, if you're reading this and you're a researcher, please, invent some antidepressants that cause weight loss. I'd be most grateful.

No comments:

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...