Wednesday, October 31, 2007

During the Halloween Blizzard of 1991 the upper Midwest was dumped with snow. On the east coast, it was dubbed the Halloween Nor'easter, and was The Perfect Storm. This was the last major snow event that I can remember. Minneapolis received 28 inches and Duluth, where my parents lived, received a whopping 36 inches of snow. Mom has pictures of this that Dad took. They have a picture of a yardstick in the snow, which is buried nearly to the top. I remember being trapped in my apartment for days. I was able to work from home though, using my trusty little Mac to connect by modem to the computer system. The temperature turned very cold after this storm. The roads were icy for the entire winter, I don't think they ever really melted until spring. This year Halloween was cold, 48 degrees. We had a few trick or treaters, maybe 10 total. Mom LOVED seeing the kids in their costumes, and the puppies in their costumes. The neighbors brought over their puppies. They know how much Mom loves them. She was cuddling with Bailey for quite a long time. And now she wants a puppy....

I also had a note from Joyce which said that Mom found a friend at Prairie. Her name is Ruth. Joyce said she has never seen Mom happier than today. Also on the daily report that Mom gets from Prairie, it said something about how great it was to see the joy on her face as she listened to a music concert at Prairie in the afternoon. That makes me feel so very happy, to know that she feels some joy while at Prairie.

It was a low key day for me. It took extra long to get home tonight because traffic was heavy for Halloween. But all in all it was a good day.

No comments:

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...