Sunday, October 14, 2007

There are a lot of rewards in Alzheimer's caregiving, right there along with the frustrations and sadness. I am so grateful for the time that I am given to be with Mom. I'm glad that she is still pretty with-it. It's just hard to hold down a full time job and care for someone who has dementia. It rips my heart out to see Mom lose her dignity and independence. Today she reminded me that she's older than me; I shouldn't be the one telling her what to do. But then we have wonderful moments like tonight when Olivia climbed into her lap and cuddled (that little cat is a lifesaver, she loves Mom so much). I don't like to think about the future and what it may hold. I try to take it one day at a time and remain positive.

3 comments:

nancy said...

hold on to those little moments robyn. you are right, they are precious and help us caregivers to get thru the bad times.

you are right too, on day at a time.....

~Betsy said...

What would we do without our furry companions? Hold on to the positive moments - they really do help us get through.

Unknown said...

One day at a time is the only way really. It is so hard trying to keep a balance between preserving independence and insuring safety.

But I figured if anyone had to do it then it would be better if it were me.

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...