Tuesday, February 19, 2008

One thing that the lawyer suggested that we look into is a geriatric care manager. Today I talked to two different agencies. They can act as an advocate for Mom in all aspects of her care. One agency is called Rent A Daughter. Boy I could have used something like that 3 years ago.

Today, one of the memory care facilities called to say that they will have a vacancy in 30 days. I was very unprepared for this but I still had enough faculties to ask if I could think about it. Then I called my sister. She suggested that I visit the facility to see the suite that is available. This particular facility is approximately 9 miles from my home; it's the one that is the furthest from our home in fact.

Mom's usual caregivers were not available today so we had substitutes. I don't think she was given breakfast and they didn't give her her morning pills. I don't think she had much at all to eat today so I added a note to her care plan about making sure that she has breakfast, lunch and her pills.

I'm finally feeling close to 100% again. The antibiotics must have kicked in. Yay. It's still cold here. I'm so over it. Bring on spring.

2 comments:

~Betsy said...

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. You must have needed those antibiotics!

Good luck with the decision about placement. It's such a tough call, but I know you will make the right one.

As for the substitute caregiver - I would certainly be raising hell with the agency. Who comes as a caretaker and doesn't give meds or breakfast!? Grrr.

Annie said...

Glad you're feeling better.

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...