Monday, February 18, 2008

Today I spent 2 1/2 hours meeting with an attorney who specializes in elder law. My sister joined in via conference call. Needless to say that we were both overwhelmed. The lawyer had so much information to give us including info about trusts, geriatric care managers and assisted living contracts. She even talked about how I should handle having POA. This is daunting stuff to say the least. I'm glad that my sister was there as a second set of ears. I don't think either of us expected the meeting to be so long. But I'm glad that I went. This lawyer came highly recommended so I was quite pleased by her thoroughness.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I went through an elder care attorney for my uncle. The meeting was just as long and his percentage of taking care of everything was very high. I really couldn't have done it without him though.

~Betsy said...

When Mom died, I immediately contacted a lawyer. There is just too much to sort through without legal assistance. You are using your head, Robyn. Dot your i's and cross your t's - it's the best way.

nancy said...

i too remember talking to an elder lawyer right after my mom died, when russ came to live with us. so much to think about. good for you robyn, you're trying to be proactive an stay ahead of the game, that's so important.

Unknown said...

I always sit there trying to compute how much per minute it is costing to talk to lawyers. I seem to always be on the paying side.

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...