Friday, February 29, 2008

Today Mom and I met with Nicole from Senior Abilities Unlimited. Nicole is a physical therapist who owns her own business. Her specialty is working with seniors including those with dementia, to help them keep moving and to create 'muscle memory' so that even though the brain might forget the muscles remember how to work. She was great with Mom, I was impressed. She got Mom up and walking and she observed her very closely as she walked. She observed that one of Mom's legs is shorter than the other, she recommended a lift in her shoe for this. I asked her why no one else had noticed this and she said it's most likely from her hip replacement surgery. She said that this explains why Mom's left hip is in so much pain , (it's been compensating) and also why her right ankle (remember that?) has been hurting. Nicole's services are private pay, but she came highly recommended so I think it's worthwhile to try her out and she what she can do for Mom. She would come twice a week and work with Mom for 45 minutes each day. Mom was feisty, but Nicole had a knack for getting Mom to do what she wanted her to do. Afterward Mom said she liked Nicole. I guess we will give it a try.

6 comments:

~Betsy said...

Wow, that's really something about the shorter leg and ankle pain. I hope this helps your mom.

Annie said...

That is great, Robyn.

On a terribly selfish side-note, I find myself very envious of the resources you have available in the metro area. There is very little here in my rural area, and mileage costs make many things cost prohibitive. I'm very glad you have them, and you are really good about finding them and exploring all your options. You are a great daughter, Robyn.

rilera said...

Annie I think about you often and wonder if you feel isolated. It has to be hard for you and your Mom. I'm grateful to live in the metro area even when my commute is horrendous (like last Thurs). Hugs to you my friend. You too are doing a wonderful job and are an amazing daughter to your Mom.

nancy said...

just checking in on you. it's not like you to go so many days without posting. hope things are going well.

rilera said...

Hi Nancy, I haven't had much to say. Things are going fairly well for Mom and me.

Joanne said...

Hope the lift helps your mom. I agree with Annie. The resources sound great in your area. Wish we had better resources here. You're doing a great job, Robyn.

Nine Years and Counting

Mom has been gone for a little over nine years. This blog was a huge mechanism for helping me cope with her illness and daily downfall. I...